Friday, March 26, 2010

It takes two to make a thing go right!

I like to ride my bicycle; I like to ride my bike!

   This is the song I hear over and over whenever Wes is on a bike or sees a bike or thinks about biking or just has it stuck in his head. I love my husband. He makes me smile, but sometimes I get to make him smile.

   We decided to take in Savannah on bike yesterday. It’s a small area so it was really the best way to see it all. I should have known better when we walked around the same block twice and still couldn’t find the bike shop only to have it located directly beside the place we grabbed lunch at. There was an awesome old Asian hippy behind the desk that basically told us that we could keep our bike till whenever and go wherever as long as we call her when we were done. She wrote her cell phone number on the back of an order form and ripped it off. Not a big deal, but when we first walked into the store she was on the phone trying to put in that very same order so I’m sure later it’s going to matter that there’s a chunk missing from it. Calling this crazy lady ‘High’ would be an understatement.

   So I’m super excited, I don’t think I’ve been on a bicycle since my sister and I tried to ride the Tin Roof prized beach cruisers to the Waffle House up the street from our home. That excursion did not turn out so well and this one didn’t start out so well. I think I got about a block and a half away from the store when the ENTIRE left peddle fell off in the middle of the street. I had to chunk my bike on the side and run after it before it was ran over. Wes is oblivious to the whole think since his idea of riding around town is to reincarnate speed racer. Finally he hear my shrieks and laughter as I dodge the cars holding my peddle over my head like Rocky when he reached the top of the stairs. Stupid tourist…I know what they’re all thinking. Sadly I was laughing too much to remember to take a picture and before I know it Wes has taken the gimp bike back to the store to swap it for a functioning one. Apparently the stoner Asian had forgotten to add a nut the last time she adjusted the pedals.
Wes returning with my new bike

   Everything else from there went smoothly. Savannah is one kick ass town. I always talk about the bubble I’m in back home, but if I lived here…wow I don’t think I’d ever leave the historic district. We rode up and down every street here and even some more and more times. Wes finds it hilarious to ride around in giant circles or squares because he knows that I’ll just follow behind without thinking. He does this in the car too. Last weekend he rode around the roundabout in downtown Franklin like four times with Ashley and I following for at least 2 ½ times before wising up and moving on.
Following in a giant Circle
Stopping since I realized I just went in a huge circle like a retard because Wes was doing it!


   Biking here is seriously the best way to go. Cars are practically useless because everything is walking distance and parking is hard to come by since it’s all parallel on the street. They even have those pedal taxis. I don’t think I could ever be comfortable in one of those, just sitting back relaxing while some skinny hippy is pedaling his ass off to get me to somewhere that probably would have been only a ten minute walk on my own.

   Right now I’m at a coffee shop on a corner. Wes and I found it yesterday and it’s my new FAVORITE place to people watch. I want one in Nashville now! Wes is out golfing and I don’t want to see anything without him so I’m just killing time checking email and catching up on stupid stuff till he’s done. It’s so pretty out so I’m outside enjoying the company of the passer-byers. I’m super lucky today because they bike taxi brigade has decided to congregate in the square next to me. They are some real characters. One guy was parked and then out of no where another comes around the corner hooting and hollering pumping is fist Arsenio Hall style excited to see the other was working today. “Awesome…didn’t know you were working today. Let’s just post up here and pass the hours. Maybe if we’re deep in convo no one will want up to ride their fat asses around!” Talk about real commitment to the job. In that one statement, he has confirmed my decision to opt out of the bike taxi. They have just added a new member to the slacker club. This guy comes with friends on bikes of their own. The hippy movement is alive in these here parts!
The only picture I could get without them realizing I was taking it. After a while, they all definitely knew I was paying attention to everything they were saying! I was a serious STALKER!

   One of the guys keeps saying “hello” to every one who passes on a bike. In return they say “hello”, then he proceeds to say “goodbye”, followed by them saying “goodbye” and so forth. I was beginning to think this was code for something between the bicycle gang but then they all burst into laughter and the guy says, “It works every time!” Why that’s so funny I don’t know but he did decide to include me in on it on his way into the shop for coffee. I guess I’ve been initiated into the elusive bicycle brigade now. I wonder what my gang code name is…

If it's all gonna happen sometime...then why not now?

2 comments:

  1. Syd I have about a 90 second movie of an 'action shot' from riding around one of the squares. (The locals call them parks). I had so much fun with you down there and we are definately going back!

    ReplyDelete