Monday, June 14, 2010

Bad Reputation


A lady came in today to browse and then went into a story about how she was talking to her hairdresser about places to shop for children. She named the usual stores that we compete with, which is not unusual to hear. Another thing not unusual to hear is that she only came into where I work because she saw that I was working. Like many other people, she and her hairdresser have slowed, if not stopped shopping at Giggles because of “a very unpleasant woman” who works here. Many of you may know that woman as the “dragon lady” which I so nicely refer to her as.

I went on to explain to this lady that Diane is just a friend of the owners’ family who only works one day a week and if at all possible to not come on Tuesdays because that is normally when she is here. I assured her that she was not alone in the unfriendly feelings she was getting, but since I don’t own this store there was nothing I could do about it. Diane was given a job because her husband had died and she needed a reason to get out of the house so she works one day a week. That was over 4 years ago and she has recently remarried. I had hoped then she would quit after getting married, but no such luck.

I also explained that to this lady. I realized I probably told her more than I should have but I can’t stand it that dragon lady still works here. It’s just terrible business. She has terrible customer relations and absolutely no personality. The woman in my store couldn’t believe that someone would actually marry dragon lady since her disposition is so bad. I’ve told Sara Beth that customers complain consistently about her, but she told me to stop telling her about it because she knows and Diane is going no where so no point in beating a dead horse.

Last week, Sara Beth asked if I wanted the store. First, I have no passion for children’s clothes so no way would I want to be in the business forever. However, part of me wants it only to show how easy it would be to make this store a huge success. Sara Beth is sitting on a gold mine and has no ambition to make the store what it can be.

Step One: Get rid of dragon lady and cut back, if not cut out Sara Beth’s mothers’ input in the business. I love Jeanne. She’s super sweet and really pleasant to our customers, but she has some terrible habits too. She’s too involved in market and doesn’t really have up-to-date fashion knowledge. The girls who work next door have told me about occasions where she has locked up with a note on the door to come back later so that she can go get her nails done. She also will give the “family” discount to random people who are not family, which also brings me to step two.

Step Two: Get rid of family discounted hold items. I understand giving a discount to family member. I just don’t understand letting them put clothes on hold the entire season coming in periodically to buy an item here and there and then when they whole season goes 50% off, here they come and buy. That’s just stupid. Why give a family member the option to buy it at half of when someone else will pay full price. If you want the item buy it then or maybe put it on hold for 48 hours and then it’s back on the floor. Main rule in business…never mix family with business and step 1 & 2 would help draw a line a little.

Step Three: Don’t have sales at the same time each year. Right now everyone knows that in the summer we close the week of July 4th and then when we re-open summer things go 50% off; in the winter we close Christmas through New Years and then when re-open everything goes 50% off. It’s not so bad in the winter because we have people coming in to buy Christmas gifts, but in the summer the entire month of June is just wasted time. Why pay full price now when if you wait 4 weeks you can get it half off?

Managing Arden B may have been a hellhole but at least it had an organizational method to how things were run. Here, it’s a crazy mess. One day we do things one way and the next it’s completely different. I try constantly to bring a system to work but nothing ever comes from it because if I’m the only one going with the system, there’s not a whole lot accomplished. I go days…weeks…never even speaking to Sara Beth. How can you be on top of what’s going on if you never even speak to your employees.

My girlfriend Leigh thinks I’m crazy to not jump on this opportunity. Especially since this store makes a profit now, even under these crazy conditions. I think there’s too much that set in stone now. It would be really difficult to come in and undermine a lot of what’s been going on for four years. I’d rather start completely fresh, then to try to make people conform to my idea of a successful structure. Like is sewing; it’s easier to make something from scratch, then it is to take a garment 4 sizes big and tailor it to fit you. Plus, you can’t teach old dogs new tricks and these women are really old. I’m so over it at this point and way too tired to try. Jack knows me best…http://music.aol.com/video/no-good-with-faces-aol-sessions/jack-johnson/bc:88816601001
(I swear sometimes he really write songs directly about me)

One day it’ll be my turn, but until then I have to just look at what I cannot change. If it’s gonna happen sometime…Then why not now?

2 comments:

  1. Once again, I really like your blog. You really put it out there. Dude, like u said, the ladies are older. In my opinion when it comes to design/fashion.. The old timers gotta go- that or 1) really WORK to keep up with the latest trends or 2) hire someone like YOU and actually listen to what you have to say. I once worked for a lady who was awful, always in a bad mood, everyday ( like u said) the structure changed, hardley ever came in to the office ( I'd undrstand that if it was a huge company and she had a thousand other people to handle everything- but it was just her and me and one other person), and didn't want to hear my opinion. So when my review came, I basically told her I didn't understand why I was there cause the clients I got for her - she skipped out on them cause she "didn't feel like going". Needless to say, she didn't want to hear the truth and fired me. I digress, I love the job I have now. So I know u didn't ask for my input... But u should take it on for a bit! You'll add a fresh vibe and cut out the bs. See how much better it does with your struucture and some kick ass advertising! Then if you're over it in a year u can move to something else. But you'll have the experience and proof that you can take a business and make it better. Just a thought, if u think I'm crazy then just ignore everything I said. Your story just struck a chord with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda agree with Rachel Syd! This could be a really great experience to start something new. You don't have to stay in only children's clothes. You can over time introduce new products and over time have the possibility to turn the store into exactly what you want while in the meantime establishing a name for yourself. At least this place does have a name within the community. You can just market it in a new direction. I dunno, i would consider it. Also, if you get the profits back up where they could be you could have the possibility to sell the shop later and gain a profit. Right now you might be able to get it on the cheap since the owner doesn't really have a passion for it and the economy is down. Anyhow, I would think about it. Its the only thing you would actually be happy doing I think.

    Anyhow, Love you seester!

    ReplyDelete