Friday, July 2, 2010

Run like the Wind Blows

Some runners may be animals, in desperate need of a pack leader; I am not that kind of runner. I am purely mental! In fact, I’m so mental that basically the only reason I am trying to run in the first place is because my mom and sister have taken it up and let’s face it, anyone who knows me knows: If you jump, I jump Jack!

Since starting this new little hobby, I have been talked into getting fitted for brand new shoes (even though I just bought workout shoes not even four months ago), signing up for a 5K (right dab in the middle of July), shelling out $6.00 for one pair of socks (because real runners don’t wear 100% cotton, they need wicking material), and buying an entire new workout wardrobe (I suppose it was time…my sports bras from high school cheerleading are losing their elasticity anyway).

I would have never guessed that running would be so expensive. I believe people when they say that shoes, socks, shorts, etc. are better for you if you use a certain kind, but I believe I’m only running a couple miles anyway. I’m not Forrest Gump traveling across the country. Maybe I’m cheap by nature. Most likely it’s because I’d rather spend $35 on a new fashionable top or put it toward super cute shoes than to match spandex hot pants to my amazing new sweat resistant wicking (practically see-through) running tank top. I now shop in the children’s’ section!
Same short, slightly longer in women's section $34.99. Size large in children's section $24.99; marked down $14.99 with an extra 30% off = $10.50. I say DEAL! It was cheaper than target!

As far as running groups go...no thanks! My stepmother wakes up before 7am to go running with girlfriends and I think she's slightly mad. First of all, you won't see me waking up that early to do anything yet alone exercise of any type. My Mom's running group makes a little more sense it's at 6pm only once a week. I'm just not that kind of runner. For one thing, I'm competitive so chances are I'm going to kill myself to try to keep up with people who are experts. Then there are the people who want to talk while they run...umm NO! I'm having a hard time breathing so why would I waste my energy making small talk. I also don't like watching people run from the back. You can be a skinny, no body fat %, pure muscle person but news flash...you jiggle. I jiggle! I don't like watching a bunch of stuff jiggling around in spandex in front of me. I really don't like the idea of anyone being behind me watching me jiggle. I also don't like running in a line side by side. CARS DRIVE ON ROADS. This is not a new concept. If we are running in lines then you have to figure out who drops back and get's over and loses concentration and blah blah blah. I'm already over it just thinking about it.

My running game is absolutely in my head. This is a normal conversation with myself.

Self: “All right your going to run well just like when you were ran cross country in school.”

1 mile later

Self: “It’s hot!”

1 mile later

Self: “Getting tired…run to that corner than you can walk and cool down.”

Get to the corner

Self: “OK you’ve made it this far so make it to the next street then walk.”

Get to that street

Self: “Your not dying yet so lets make it to the next corner”

…and so forth and so forth.

This works pretty good when using mapmyrun.com but when I don’t know exactly where I’m going I definitely start to walk a whole lot sooner than normal.

I’ll be in Florida the rest of the week which means that I’ll more than likely be joining my mother’s running group on Tuesday. This should be interesting. At least Wes will be there with me to get me over my dread of running with people. Oh well I suppose if it’s gonna happen sometime…then why not now?

2 comments:

  1. Sydney, I'm so proud of the kids clothes buy...nice. Are you doing the 1/2 marathon? I feel the same way about all the running "stuff" and haven't bought too much stuff but am going to have to break down and buy some new shoes and shorts b/c mine are so old I try to go to the gym when the least ppl will be there to sit them :) ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take that picture on your shower curtain?

    ReplyDelete