Sunday, February 21, 2010

Flushing Family Values

Wes and I went down to Florida this weekend for my grandparents’ fiftieth anniversary. It’s quite a drive for a total of 43 hours spent there, but we were happy to do it. Fifty years together is such an achievement. I hope we can make it that long. Right now I feel like that’s a definite, but there are also those times when I believe I might end up being the subject of Snapped on the Oxygen channel.

My mom has been trying to put together something to celebrate this occasion for nine to ten months now. It’s been a huge process with us coming up with an idea, then either my sister or I trying to run it by Mammaw, only to come to the same conclusion that we probably won’t be able to satisfy Mammaw because she won’t come right out and tell us what she wants. Finally, about three weeks ago after I talked to Mammaw and sort of started the fire, my Uncle decided to get proactive in the planning process too. My Mom and him hashed out some plans for a surprise party.

So with invitations sent immediately and many phone calls later, Saturday we met at a restaurant with about thirty-five to forty of Mammaw and Pawpaw’s closest friends to congratulate them on the love they share. It turned out great. We made Christmas ornaments with their wedding photo for party favors, Mom and Whitney decorated the restaurant and got the cakes together, I got the presents ready, Melanie put together a photo book, and the rest of the family….well…

It was eye opening to look around at all the older couples still together. One couple in particular is about to celebrate their sixtieth anniversary and still look so much in love. Some guests were bitter sweet, husbands have passed but the widows still had their girlfriends to ride, sit, and gossip with them. Still, no matter the circumstances or the relationship status, all were there with smiles to celebrate this amazing milestone in Mammaw and Pawpaw’s life and you couldn’t help but feel the love.

Being back home with my parents and grandparents is always something I look forward to. I just wish I had more time to spend with them. Our side of the family has always been close. When Whitney and I lived at home, and even during college home visits, we met every Friday with our parents and grandparents for Friday night dinners to catch up on the week. It was a way less stuffy version of the Gilmore Girls with a little less judgment and way more gossiping. It was nice to always count on Mammaw and Pawpaw to be there to support us in anything.

Perhaps this is why now family gatherings still mean so much to me and, also, why I get so pissed at others for not appreciating them. I know that everyone is different no matter if they’re raised the same or not. Prime examples are the differences between me and my sister, or Wes and Matt. Still, I have shown up (not because I get presents for Christmas or for my Birthday, or because I get a free meal and open bar out of it) to everything, with pneumonia, after sports injuries, after oral surgery, etc. because I love the company. Whitney flew in from Italy and we drove down from Nashville and still some people can’t make a phone call. Nothing is more upsetting, especially since it was also my Pawpaw’s birthday. I know it’s not my business what others do and I also know I’ll never be able to change the circumstances but when did family values go down the toilette? Perhaps it’s my immaturity that makes me consistently want to put others before myself and show respect to the people who have been there and who will always be there no matter the amount of respect you may show them.

I look forward to the day when Wes and I are ready for children because I will proud to have them around Mammaw (who has the hugest heart and greatest sense of humor) and Pawpaw (a man of few words but who’s wisdom and knowledge surpass all). I know we have become better people because of these two and they are truly an inspiration to all, because their love never ends…no matter what! Hopefully, one-day people will gather to celebrate and have the same amazing things to say about me. Until then…

If it’s all gonna happen sometime, then why not now?

No comments:

Post a Comment